Field hockey falls at Catholic, 3-2

Field hockey falls at Catholic, 3-2

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The No. 7 Salisbury University field hockey team dropped a 3-2 decision on the road at No. 18 Catholic University of America on Wednesday night.

Salisbury got on the board on their first offensive try, just three minutes into the game when the Sea Gulls were awarded a penalty corner. Senior Natalie Wilkinson inserted to sophomore Arielle Johnston at the top of the circle. Johnston ripped a shot that Emily Lemanski was able to get a stick on, deflecting it over the head of Catholic goalkeeper Sophia Hamilton for the 1-0 lead.

The one-goal advantage held until the 29th minute when Hannah Schied tied the game. Off one of Catholic's five penalty corners in the first half, Schied attempted to float a shot over the head of goalkeeper Tressie Windsor. Windsor elevated as the ball hit the cross bar and remained in play. The ball came back to Schied, who sent another high shot into the top-right corner, tying the game.

But the tie lasted just two minutes, with Lemanski getting her second of the game with less than five minutes on the clock in the first half. Tara Daddio carried the ball down the left side, and looked for a cross to Lemanski. The pass was too far in front, but rolled slowly through the circle. Lemanski was able to get around the defender marking her and outran Hamilton to the loose ball. Lemanski hit a no-look shot, while running parallel to the goal line from seven yards out on the right side, knocking the ball into the left side of the cage.

The goal gave Salisbury a 2-1 lead, which the Sea Gulls took to halftime thanks to a key defensive play from sophomore Jillian Hughes. The Cardinals attacked the goal with less than two minutes remaining in the half and after Windsor made one of her four saves in the game, the rebound came to Rachel Day, whose shot was stopped by the second defensive save of the year by Hughes.

Lemanski narrowly missed out on the hat trick just two minutes into the second half. After dribbling through multiple Catholic defenders, she ripped a shot that was past Hamilton, but missed just wide to the right.

The Cardinals took advantage countering with a corner moments later and drawing even again, 2-2.

Catholic took the lead for good with just under 20 minutes left when a long ball into the circle was deflected by Schied and founds its way into the right side of the goal for a 3-2 lead.

Salisbury's best chance to draw even in the final 20 minutes came on a penalty corner with 10 minutes left, but Lemanski's blast from the left side was blocked.

Catholic outshot Salisbury in the game, 9-6, while the Cardinals were awarded six penalty corners to the Sea Gulls' three.

Salisbury returns to action, and home to Sea Gull Stadium for the first time in nearly three weeks, this Sunday, October 8 hosting Frostburg State University as part of Homecoming weekend. The game, which will begin at noon, will also be the team's senior day.

View: Mobile | Desktop