Field hockey falls to Trinity in overtime in NCAA tournament second round

Field hockey falls to Trinity in overtime in NCAA tournament second round

GRANTHAM, Pa. – The No. 6 Salisbury University field hockey team saw its 2017 season come to a close on Saturday, falling to No. 11 Trinity (Conn.) College in the second round of the NCAA tournament played at Messiah College, 2-1 in overtime.

The Sea Gulls (12-5) got on the board first, scoring just five minutes into the contest, on the team's first shot of the game. Junior Emily Lemanski got the tally, collecting a deflected ball and shooting into the left side of the goal for her team-leading 10th goal of the year.

Salisbury kept the pressure up, getting three penalty corner tries in the next seven minutes following the Lemanski strike, but could only turn that into one shot attempt, an on-goal offering from Arielle Johnston, which was turned away by Trinity goalkeeper Lori Berger.

The one-goal difference stood at halftime, with Berger stopping shots by Rebecca Lloyd and Nicole Lindner in the final three minutes of the first half. Berger finished the day with seven saves.

The Bantams (14-6) put their first shot on goal in the 43rd minute, which was turned away by senior goalkeeper Tressie Windsor – one of her four saves in the contest.

With less than 15 minutes on the clock, Trinity got even, getting a goal from Kendall Brown, who took a pass from Alison Slowe and slipped the ball into the right side of the goal tying the score at 1-1.

After another Trinity try a moment later, the Sea Gulls pressured Berger getting four shots in the closing three and half minutes of regulation, with tries from Tara Daddio and Natalie Wilkinson on goal, but Berger made the stops, sending the game to overtime.

Salisbury got three shots off in the extra time, forcing Berger to make one save before Chandler Solimine found the back of the cage at the other end just three minutes shy of heading to a second overtime.

Solimine took a hard pass from Kelcie Finn and was able to tip the shot into the top of the goal for the game winner, which sends the Bantams on to the third round of the tournament on Sunday.

View: Mobile | Desktop