Salisbury falls in double overtime to Generals, 7-6

Salisbury falls in double overtime to Generals, 7-6

SALISBURY, Md. – The No. 1 Salisbury University men's lacrosse team fell to Washington and Lee University, 7-6, in double overtime at Sea Gull Stadium on Wednesday afternoon.

Senior midfielder Ryan Clarke opened the scoring with an unassisted goal, the only goal scored in the first quarter. Clarke, who led the Gulls with three goals and four points, took the ball, juked a defender and drove to the right side of the goal, before beating the Generals' goalkeeper for the score.

After the 1-0 first quarter, W&L's Garrett Paglia, who scored a game-high four goals, tied the game at the 9:10 mark in the second quarter and, eventually, gave the Generals the lead with his second score with 22 seconds left in the half.

Clarke answered with his second goal, running behind the cage, from left to right and scoring on a diving, wrap-around shot from behind the goal with seven seconds left on the clock, sending the teams into halftime tied, 2-2.

At the break, Washington and Lee led in shots, 10-7, but the Sea Gulls won 4-of-6 faceoffs and were successful on 7-of-8 clears.

In the third quarter, the Gulls were outscored 4-1, which allowed the Generals to take a 6-3 lead into the fourth quarter. Paglia scored his final two goals in the period.

After allowing three-consecutive goals, senior attackman Evan Hammersly broke the General run by taking a pass from Clarke ripping a shot from the right wing to cut the lead to 5-3, before W&L would score again.

The Sea Gulls shifted the momentum in the fourth quarter and mounted a three-goal comeback to tie the game before the end of regulation. Hammersly, Clarke and senior midfielder Eric Kluge all scored in the quarter. After Clarke's third cut the lead to 6-5 at the 12:22 mark, time was running down, but Kluge found the back of the cage after beating a General defender to rip a shot and knot the game with 2:45 left.

Washington and Lee controlled the ball for much of the first overtime, but junior goalkeeper Alex Taylor made three key saves in the period to keep the Gulls in the game, including a stop from point-blank range on Max Means, who attempted to go through the five hole. Taylor got low to turn away the chance and keep the game going.

The second overtime looked to be much of the same, before the Generals' Luke Heinsohn took a pass from Jack Switala from behind the cage to net the game-winning goal with nine seconds left.

Taylor played 69:51 in the cage for the Sea Gulls and made 11 saves.

Salisbury will look to rebound against Widener University on Saturday at Sea Gull Stadium; the game is set for 12 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop