Men's lacrosse on wrong side of overtime contest at Cabrini to end regular season

Men's lacrosse on wrong side of overtime contest at Cabrini to end regular season

RADNOR, Pa. – The top-ranked Salisbury University men's lacrosse team took on No. 14 Cabrini University on Friday night and fell 11-10 via an overtime goal to end the regular season at a 15-1 mark.

The game opened up with a long stretch of back-and-forth action before the first goal of the game at the 3:38 mark off the stick of Garrett Reynolds. Before the Reynolds' tally, Cabrini's Matt Nestler and Salisbury's Colin Reymann already had combined for seven saves. Reymann got his third save of the day on the ensuing faceoff after the Reynolds' goal, stopping a Cabrini (9-3) attempt from point blank to keep the clean slate up to that point. He would end the game with 11 stops.

After the slow start to the first, with under a minute to go, the Cavaliers struck twice to go up 2-1 heading into the second quarter.

Early in the second, Salisbury didn't let the late Cabrini tallies turn into a bigger run as Nathan Blondino got the ball behind the cage and made his defender fall with a quick move to his left. With his head up coming around the cage, he found an open Nick Garbarino with the ball just inside the left post 25 seconds into the quarter.

Blondino ended the game with three goals and one assist, while Garbarino had three goals. The one assist for Blondino gives him 123 for his career to tie him with SU Hall of Famer Dave Cottle for fifth in program history.

With the game tied after the Garbarino marker, Blondino went for two goals in a row before Garbarino added two of his own in back-to-back fashion to go up 6-2 with 4:52 to play in the half. From there Cabrini stopped the Sea Gulls' five-goal run with two of its own to end the half with Salisbury ahead 6-4.

It took just 61 seconds to strike in half number two with Corey Gwin driving from the midfield and finding a cutting Blondino who put the low-to-low shot inside the right pipe. After another lull in the pace of play, Cabrini hit for two goals in a 43-second span as it converted off SU turnovers on both occasions to make it a one-goal game with the latter tally coming at 9:12. That goal ended the third quarter scoring as much of the offense in the game came in streaks.

Another trend of the game that held true was Salisbury striking first in each quarter with Brendan Bromwell stinging the low-right corner at 13:28 in the fourth and Gwin got in on the action soon after with one of his own to make the score 9-6. However, unfortunately for the Gulls the late Cabrini runs in the quarters was also a theme in the contest that held up.

The game got shaken up at 5:48 as after a Cabrini tally, Salisbury was hit with a three-minute non-releasable penalty and the Cavaliers eventually tied the game at the 4:20 mark with a Jordan Krug goal and got the go-ahead goal at 3:54.

With time winding down the Cavaliers needed to clear the ball to secure the win in regulation but Carson Kalama forced Nestler to cough it up and he scored on the empty net with 35 seconds to play to tie things at 10-10.

Salisbury got the ball off the faceoff and Bromwell had a great look from 12 yards that Nestler made an outstanding save on to send the game to overtime.

Salisbury got the first settled possession of overtime but another big Nestler save gave the home side a chance to get their own settled possession. A Jake Klein tally from the left wing just over three minutes into the overtime period was the decisive goal to end the contest.

Salisbury now turns its attention to a home Capital Athletic Conference semifinal matchup that will take place on Saturday, April 22 at Sea Gull Stadium. Check for updates as the opponent and game time of the semifinal matchup are determined.

View: Mobile | Desktop