FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – Upon further review by the Executive Committee of the Capital Athletic Conference and an adjustment of points, it has been declared that the Salisbury University men's indoor track & field team has been named the 2019 Capital Athletic Conference Indoor Track & Field champion.
After a more in depth review of the men's 4x400-meter relay from this past weekend at the 2019 CAC Indoor Track & Field Championships, it has been declared by the CAC office that Christopher Newport University was to be disqualified. It has been determined that after a violation had occurred during the race the relay team forfeited its finish in the race, which in turn gave up the points the team had earned.
After reviewing the testimony of the coaches, officials and administrators involved, as well as seeking the counsel of NCAA staff members and the Secretary-Rules Editor for NCAA Track & Field, the Executive Committee of the CAC Athletic Council voted unanimously to:
- Uphold the protest of the 4x400-meter relay event
- Disqualify one team from the men's 4x400-meter relay event from the Championship
- Adjust the 2019 CAC Men's Indoor Track & Field Championships final standings to reflect the disqualification of the men's 4x400-meter relay team
- As a result of the disqualification, Salisbury University is the 2019 CAC Men's Indoor Track & Field Champions
It is the men's program's fifth CAC indoor track & field title, and first since 2015. With the victory it marks just the second time in indoor track & field history for the maroon and gold that both the men's and the women's team earned a clean sweep at the championships.
The adjusted CAC 2019 Men's Indoor Track and Field Championship Final Standings are as follows:
Men's Team Standings
1. Salisbury - 124
2. Christopher Newport - 123
3. Penn State Harrisburg - 95
t4. Frostburg State - 93
t4. Mary Washington - 93
6. York (Pa.) - 64
7. Southern Virginia - 23