Baseball team falls to Cortland in game one; game two ends in rare draw

Baseball team falls to Cortland in game one; game two ends in rare draw

SALISBURY, Md. – The No. 22 Salisbury University baseball team hosted its first doubleheader against No. 8 Cortland State University on Friday, dropping game one, 6-0 while being forced into a 12-inning 3-3 tie due to lack of daylight.

Game 1: Cortland 6 Salisbury 0

The Red Dragons (1-2-1) took a first inning lead on an RBI groundout and solo home run to go up 2-0. They then doubled their lead an inning later following another groundout and a balk called on Salisbury pitcher Clayton Dwyer.

Cortland added two more runs on singles through the infield in the third and fifth innings to go up 6-0.

Salisbury (3-1-1) struggled to get the bats going, recording only four hits in the shutout loss. Left fielder Brad Haas, making his first start of 2019, received credit for three of the four hits.

Dwyer (1-1) took his first loss of the season, pitching three innings while recording three strikeouts.

Game 2: Salisbury 3 Cortland 3 – 12 innings

Salisbury Starting pitcher Daniel Frake went toe-to-toe with Cortland starter Zack Durant, combining for eight scoreless innings to start game two of the doubleheader. It was the Red Dragons who scored first in the fifth inning, however, on a one out, RBI groundout to take the 1-0 lead.

The Sea Gulls answered quickly, scoring three runs in the fifth inning to take a 3-1 lead. Ron Villone led off the inning with a double into the right centerfield gap. Tyler Mayo then moved Villone up to third on a sacrifice bunt in the following at-bat before Haas knocked his fourth hit of the day to center field to drive in Salisbury's first run.

Jack Barry then drew a walk in the next at-bat before Brandon Bonesteel smacked a double down the left field line to score both Barry and Haas.

An RBI sacrifice fly in the seventh inning pulled the Red Dragons within one, 3-2.

With runners on the corners and two outs away in the top of the ninth inning, Salisbury was one out away from securing the win, but a timely Joe Tardiff single through the left side of the infield tied the game at 3-3. Salisbury couldn't answer in the bottom half of the frame, and the game went in to extra innings.

Salisbury would put runners in scoring position in the 10th, 11th, and 12th innings, but were unable to drive home the winning run in each case.

Eventually, the umpires were forced to call the game after 12 innings due to lack of sunlight, and the game was forced to end in a draw.

The team returns to action on Wednesday, February 27 when it hosts the Washington College Shoremen. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m.