READING, Pa. - The Salisbury University football team opened the 2019 season with a 63-28 win over the Albright Lions on Friday.
Final Score: Salisbury 63, Albright 28
Records: Salisbury (1-0) | Albright (0-1)
Location: Gene Shirk Stadium - Reading, Pa.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a 49-yard run by Michael Fowler on the opening play of the game, Mike-Ryan Mofor scampered for an 18-yard touchdown run to cap off a three-play, 76-yard drive 1:03 into the game.
- Two plays into Albright's opening possession, Noah Zentz forced a Malik Bootman fumble which was recovered by Patrick Bernardo.
- One play later, Mofor tallied his second touchdown of the game on a 31-yard touchdown run.
- Later in the first quarter, Sam Pagella intercepted Albight's Todd Shelley to give Salisbury the ball deep in Salisbury territory.
- On the ensuing drive on a 4th-and-4 play, Jack Navitsky found a wide open Hunter Cleaver in the end zone for a 19-yard touchdown pass to put Salisbury up 21-0 with three minutes left in the first.
- Albright scored first to open the quarter on a two-yard touchdown pass from Jimmy Lahay to Mike Jordan to cut the Salisbury lead to 21-7.
- Back-to-back touchdowns by Damien King, including a 49-yard touchdown reception following a Derrick Wright interception extended the Salisbury lead to 35-7 with 8:12 to go in the first half.
- Mofor notched his third touchdown of the first half after he broke several tackles at the line of scrimmage and made his way down the sideline for a 49-yard touchdown run to put Salisbury up 42-7 with 5:34 left in the half.
- Albright would cut their deficit to 42-13 right before halftime on a six-yard touchdown catch by Bootman.
- Albright scored first in the second half on a touchdown catch of 17 yards by Mike Jordan. Albright converted the two-point try to trail Salisbury, 42-21.
- Salisbury wouldn't find the end zone again until Navitsky found King for their second touchdown connection of the night, this time for 16 yards with 3:48 left in the quarter.
- On the next Albright drive, Sean Carroll intercepted Lahay and returned the ball 35 yards for a touchdown to put Salisbury up 56-21.
- Hopeton Mair tallied Salisbury's fifth rushing touchdown of the game on a 45-yard run to open the final frame to extend Salisbury's lead to 63-21.
- Albright got a late touchdown on a 64-yard reception by Jordan to Todd Shelley but Salisbury would run the clock out to seal the win.
- Salisbury gained 488 yards of total offense. The Sea Gulls gained 360 yards on the ground and 128 through the air.
- Salisbury won the turnover battle, causing four Albright turnovers. The Salisbury defense caused three of their four turnovers in the first half.
- Mike-Ryan Mofor and Damien King each tallied three touchdowns. Mofor carried the ball 10 times for 132 yards while King recorded two touchdown receptions and a rushing score.
- Jack Navitsky went 5-of-8 for 112 yards and three touchdowns.
- Patrick Bernardo and Xavier Harkum paced the Salisbury defense with seven tackles a piece. Harkum added two pass breakups.
- Sean Carroll had five tackles, two pass breakups and a 35-yard interception return for a touchdown.
- Sam Pagella and Robert Jadick each registered five tackles. Pagella secured an interception in the first quarter.
- The Salisbury defense got to the Albright quarterbacks four times, led by Sam Pavlick who collected a pair of sacks.
- Bert Schrecongost went a perfect 9-for-9 in his extra-point attempts.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Salisbury improved their record to 6-3 all-time against Albright and 16-5 overall in season openers under head coach Sherman Wood.
- Sean Carroll's pick-six was the first of his collegiate career.
- Four different Salisbury rushers gained for over 50 yards (Mofor, Mair, King, Michael Fowler).