EWING, N.J. – In a battle of two top-5 teams, the fourth-ranked Salisbury University field hockey team fell to the fifth-ranked TCNJ Lions, 4-2 on Saturday.
Final Score: No. 5 TCNJ 4, No. 4 Salisbury 2
Records: Salisbury (7-1) | TCNJ (6-0)
Location: Ewing, N.J. - Field Hockey Complex
HOW IT HAPPENED
- TCNJ got the first goal of the game in the third minute off a penalty corner. Kayla Peterson put a ball on target and Jess Hatch got the redirect past Dom Farrace.
- Salisbury responded with a goal in the 10th minute of the game. Salisbury got on a counter-attack following a turnover in the midfield, Tara Daddio pushed a pass through a diving goalkeeper to Meghan Jolikko who scored in the open cage.
- TCNJ wasted no time to regain their lead with a pair of goals in the second quarter by Cayla Andrews and Tori Hannah to take a 3-1 lead into halftime.
- In the 41st minute, TCNJ was able to increase their lead to 4-1 on Andrews' second goal of the game off another redirect.
- Salisbury cut into the TCNJ lead in the 46th minute when Arielle Johnston stepped up for a penalty stroke. Johnston blasted a shot off the keeper and the ball trickled past the goal line.
- Salisbury had a pair of penalty corners in the fourth but Maddie Beaumont was able to stop the Salisbury scoring chances.
- Salisbury held a 20-16 shot advantage over TCNJ, including a 16-5 edge on shots in the second half.
- Meghan Jolikko and Arielle Johnston each netted a goal for Salisbury.
- Cayla Andrews paced TCNJ with two goals.
- Dom Farrace made two saves for Salisbury while Maddie Beaumont tallied 10 saves for TCNJ.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Johnston extended her points streak to four games and has scored in three consecutive games.