WASHINGTON, D.C. – A fourth-quarter goal by Meghan Jolikko lifted the third-ranked Salisbury University field hockey team over the Catholic Cardinals, 1-0 on Wednesday.
Final Score: No. 3 Salisbury 1, Catholic 0
Records: Salisbury (9-1), Catholic (4-6)
Location: Cardinal Stadium – Washington, D.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury came out firing with six penalty corners and four shots on goal but the Catholic defense held tight to keep the game scoreless at the half.
- Salisbury had a pair of good looks in the middle of the third quarter. Meghan Jolikko's shot in the 36th minute and Jenna Partilla's chance in the 37th minute were both saved by Catholic defender Carly Philbin.
- After a scoreless three quarters, Salisbury looked to get on the board in the early parts of the fourth quarter. After back-to-back saves by Catholic's Maysen Elliot, Jolikko was able to break through with a goal in the 48th minute of the game.
- McKenzie Mitchell looked to double Salisbury's lead with 2:30 left in regulation but Caleigh McGough tallied Catholic's third defensive save of the game.
- Salisbury dominated the shot totals, 20-1 over Catholic.
- Salisbury notched nine penalty corners.
- Meghan Jolikko netted Salisbury's lone goal on two shots on goal.
- McKenzie Mitchell recorded four shots on goal while Tara Daddio tallied three shots on target.
- Dom Farrace saved the only shot she faced in the second quarter.
- Maysen Elliot made eight saves for Catholic.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Salisbury picked up their fifth shutout of the season.
- It is the fourth game that the Salisbury defense has allowed one shot or less in a game.
- Salisbury continues their four-game road trip on Saturday when they travel to Virginia Beach to take on the Virginia Wesleyan Marlins.
- Game time is set for 5 p.m.
- Live stats are available.