SALISBURY, Md. – The third-ranked Salisbury University field hockey team prevailed, 2-1, in a double-overtime thriller over the 14th-ranked Christopher Newport Captains in Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) action on Saturday.
- Final Score: No. 3 Salisbury 2, No. 14 CNU 1
- Records: Salisbury (13-1, 2-0 CAC) | CNU (10-4, 1-1 CAC)
- Location: Sea Gull Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury got stunned early as CNU would put an end the Sea Gulls' five-game shutout streak as Abby Asuncion got a backhand shot past Dom Farrace just 28 seconds into the contest.
- CNU nearly doubled up their advantage in the early part of the second quarter but Jillian Hughes made a defensive save and Farrace would make a stop to keep the deficit at one.
- With just over five minutes left in the second quarter, Arielle Johnston would redirect a shot from the top of the arc by Camryn Dennis to tie the game at one.
- The game would remain tied in regulation to force sudden-victory overtime.
- Salisbury would put on an offensive barrage in the overtime period with nine shots in the two overtime periods.
- Salisbury got back-to-back penalty corners in the 77th minute. Johnston's initial shot would be saved by Olivia Davis but Dennis would put away the rebound to allow Salisbury to walk-off winners.
- Salisbury held the 20-12 edge in shots over CNU.
- Salisbury tallied 15 penalty corners, including six in the second overtime.
- Camryn Dennis registered a goal and an assist.
- Arielle Johnston notched a goal.
- Jillian Hughes recorded a defensive save.
- Dom Farrace made six saves in the cage,
- CNU's Olivia Davis had 14 saves.
- Salisbury travels to Mary Washington to take on the Eagles on Wednesday.
- The CAC game is set to begin at 4 p.m.
- Live links are available on suseagulls.com