FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – Senior Arielle Johnston recorded her first career hat trick as the third-ranked Salisbury University field hockey team rolled past Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) opponent The University of Mary Washington, 6-0.
Final Score: Salisbury 6, Mary Washington 0
Records: Salisbury (14-1, 3-0 CAC) | Mary Washington (5-10, 0-3 CAC)
Location: Battleground Turf – Fredericksburg, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury scored its first goal of the afternoon a little over 13 minutes into the contest when Camryn Dennis deflected a pass down low from Lindsey Elgin and into the back of the net for the early 1-0 lead.
- Arielle Johnston delivered a hard shot from the top of the circle a minute into the second quarter for the first of her three goals on the afternoon.
- Rachel Domanico pushed the Salisbury lead to three goals with an unassisted shot just over a minute into the third quarter.
- Johnston closed the quarter with her second goal of the day off a pass from Dennis, then tallied her first career hat trick with only five minutes remaining in the game.
- The Sea Gulls weren't done however, as Ariel Limpert flicked a backhand shot off a pass from Dennis with 24 seconds left on the clock for the final score of the game.
- Johnston and Dennis lead the team with five shots each, while McKenzie Mitchell delivered another four.
- Limpert's goal in the final second marked the first career goal for the freshman forward.
- Salisbury dominated Mary Washington in shots, 28-5 while also forcing nine penalty corners to the Eagles' three.
- Dom Farrace made three saves en route to her 12th win of the season before being relieved by backup Mackenzie Peacock for the final 5:25.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Johnston's hat trick marks the second time in 2019 that a Sea Gull has accomplished the feat. McKenzie Mitchell tallied three goals in a 6-0 victory over Gwynedd Mercy back on September 28.