SALISBURY, Md. – It took a late goal but the Salisbury University field hockey team earned their 22nd Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) Championship on Saturday with a thrilling 2-1 win over the Christopher Newport Captains.
Final Score: No. 3 Salisbury 2, No. 14 Christopher Newport 1
Records: Salisbury (18-1) | CNU (14-5)
Location: Sea Gull Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury put the pressure on CNU early with nine first-quarter penalty corners.
- In the 10th minute of the game off of one of Salisbury's penalty corners, McKenzie Mitchell shot a ball off of CNU's Allie Davis that she couldn't clear out. Camryn Dennis was able to corral the rebound and put the ball in the back of the cage.
- CNU was able to get some momentum going in the second quarter and the beginning of the second half. CNU tied the game in the 36th minute of the contest when Courtney Fiest found Nyla Lewis on the far side of the cage and the ball trickled into the cage past a diving Salisbury defender.
- It was looking like the game was going a typical Salisbury-CNU overtime game but Salisbury was able to get the winning goal in the 56th minute.
- Arielle Johnston played a penalty corner to the top of the arc. The ball was passed around inside the arc. Davis made a pair of saves but was unable to clear the ball out of the attacking zone. Rachel Domanico fielded the loose ball and found an open Johnston on the near post.
- The Salisbury defense stifled CNU offense for the final four minutes of the game to seal a berth into the NCAA Tournament.
- Salisbury outshot CNU, 10-6. Salisbury notched eight shots on goal.
- Arielle Johnston and Camryn Dennis each scored a goal for Salisbury. Johnston's goal in the 56th minute was the game-winner.
- Rachel Domanico recorded the assist on Johnston's goal.
- Dom Farrace made a pair of saves for Salisbury.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Salisbury returns to the NCAA Division III National Tournament for the 35th time and continues their streak of 26 consecutive tournament appearances.
- Salisbury improves their record to 4-1 over Christopher Newport in CAC Championship games.
- Following the game, Arielle Johnston was named the CAC Tournament MVP.
- Johnston, Jillian Hughes, Lindsey Elgin and Camryn Dennis were named to the CAC All-Tournament Team.
- Salisbury will wait for their draw in the 2019 NCAA Division III National Championship.
- The field will be announced on Sunday at around 11 p.m. on NCAA.com.