SALISBURY, Md. – On a cold, windy day at Sea Gull Stadium, the third-ranked Salisbury University field hockey team took down the FDU-Florham Devils, 1-0 in the NCAA Second Round.
Final Score: No. 3 Salisbury 1, FDU-Florham 0
Records: Salisbury (19-1) | FDU-Florham (18-5)
Location: Sea Gull Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams were feeling each other out in the opening quarter. Salisbury was only able to tally two shots in the quarter, one in the opening moments of the game by Meghan Jolikko and another as the quarter ended by Sarah Jackson.
- Salisbury was starting to get a little bit of momentum in the early parts of the second quarter. The Sea Gulls put three shots goalwards in the 19th minute of the game but FDU's Megan March stopped all three shots.
- FDU-Florham earned back-to-back corners in the 26th minute of the game and put two shots on goal. Both shots were saved by Dom Farrace.
- In the 44th minute, Salisbury put in a shot towards March off a penalty corner but a penalty stroke was called in the arc.
- McKenzie Mitchell stepped up on the spot for Salisbury and put away the stroke just past a diving March for the lone goal of the contest.
- Salisbury's defense played well throughout as the Sea Gull backline limited FDU to only one second-half shot to earn the win and advance in the tournament.
- Salisbury owned a 15-4 shot advantage over FDU-Florham.
- 11 of Salisbury's 15 shots were on target.
- McKenzie Mitchell netted the only goal of the game on four shots.
- Meghan Jolikko notched a pair of shots on goal.
- Dom Farrace tallied two saves to earn her eighth shutout of the season.
- FDU's Megan March stopped 10 of the 11 shots that came her way.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Salisbury registered its 13th shutout of the season.
- Salisbury improves to 53-30 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.