Jeter registers first double-double to lead Sea Gulls to 64-51 win over PSU-Harrisburg

Jeter registers first double-double to lead Sea Gulls to 64-51 win over PSU-Harrisburg

MIDDLETOWN, Pa. – The Salisbury University men's basketball team started 2014 on the right foot with a 64-51 win over Capital Athletic Conference foe Penn State University-Harrisburg, Saturday afternoon at the Capital Union Building on the PSU-Harrisburg campus.

Freshman Gordon Jeter had his best all-around contest this season, registering his first double-double in maroon and gold. The Easton, Md., native netted 14 points and brought down a career-high 11 rebounds.

Fellow first-year guard Charles Porter matched Jeter with 14 points, as the duo led four Sea Gulls in double digit points. Porter scored each of his points in the second half as Salisbury (4-6, 1-2 CAC) began to build its lead.

Salisbury started the contest strong, with senior Tim Harwood hitting a three pointer on the Sea Gulls' first possession. Jeter netted a layup to push the lead to 5-0 before Penn State-Harrisburg (5-6, 2-2 CAC) got on the board. Harwood added another bucket to give the Sea Gulls a 7-2 lead with just 2:55 gone by in the contest.

Harrisburg would battle back, taking its third, and final, lead of the afternoon, 14-13, with 8:49 remaining in the first half. The Sea Gulls would go on an 11-2 run over the next 3:33, starting with a Harwood three-pointer, followed by a Jeter dunk and capped with two three-pointers from sophomore Kyle Savercool for their biggest lead of the half, 24-16.

The Lions would end the half on a 9-4 run to the narrow the Salisbury lead to 28-25 going into the locker room for halftime.

Salisbury pushed its lead back to eight with 12:33 remaining in the contest when Porter nailed a three-pointer following a steal by junior Conor Strickland on the Lions' previous possession. It was the second of back-to-back threes by Porter after Harrisburg had pulled within two, 35-33, just 1:14 earlier.

The Sea Gulls pushed its lead to double digits for the first time in the contest, 55-43, with 7:17 remaining in the contest when sophomore Charlie Rogers hit his third three-pointer of the afternoon. The forward from Onley, Md., had 12 points in 20 minutes of action.

From that point forward, Salisbury was in control of the contest, with the Lions never getting closer than seven, with the Sea Gulls holding a double-digit lead for much of the time coming down the stretch.

Harwood was the fourth Sea Gull to score double digits, finishing the contest with 13 points, 11 of which came in the first half.

Salisbury outshot the Lions, hitting on 47.4 percent of its shots from the field, compared to 38.1 percent for Harrisburg. The Lions outrebounded the Sea Gulls 25-24, with a 12-6 advantage in offensive boards.

Kenny Stone led the Harrisburg offense with a game-high 17 points.

The Sea Gulls return home to the Maggs Physical Activities Center for the first time in the new year this coming Wednesday, Jan. 8, hosting the University of Mary Washington. That contest is scheduled to begin at 7:30 p.m. 

View: Mobile | Desktop