Sea Gulls down Captains for first CAC victory

Sea Gulls down Captains for first CAC victory

SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University men's basketball team earned its first Capital Athletic Conference victory of the season 54-48 over Christopher Newport University on Wednesday night at Maggs Physical Activities Center.

The Captains opened the game on a 10-0 run, getting to the basket early with four layups and a tip-in, but freshman Jordan Brooks netted a layup to get the Sea Gulls on the board; his shot sparked a 15-3 stretch that gave SU its first lead of the night.

Sophomore Gordon Jeter hit a jumper, followed by a layup to cut the lead to 10-6, and trailing 13-8, senior Conor Strickland scored five-straight on a layup and a three-pointer to tie the score.

Salisbury took the lead on another Jeter jumper, 15-13.

CNU answered with a 4-0 spurt to retake the lead, but a layup from junior Rocky Harris, driving down the right side, tied the score again, 17-17, before two free throws from Harris and a foul shot from junior Adrien Straughn gave the Sea Gulls their largest lead of the half, 20-17.

The Captains ended the half with the third lead change in the final minutes on a 7-2 run to take a 24-22 halftime lead; at the half, Jeter led the team with six points. CNU led the rebounding 19-12, but the Gulls forced 11 Captain turnovers.

Sophomore Justin Witmer drained a corner three from the left side to open the second half to regain the lead for Salisbury, and Strickland followed with another long-distance shot for a 28-24 advantage.

The Captains fought back to tie the score 30-30, but another SU run, a 13-4 stretch, gave the Gulls a nine-point lead.

Brooks grabbed the lead again with a layup, before junior Kyle Savercool netted two threes for a 38-32 lead. After another three, this time from Harris, Savercool drove left for a layup, forcing a CNU timeout with the nine-point advantage with 11 minutes left in the contest, marking the largest lead for SU in the game.

The Captains got back to within five, but a jumper from Straughn and two free throws from junior Wyatt Smith rebuilt the advantage. CNU continued to fight back, but Salisbury answered each time, continuing to hold the lead throughout the final minutes of the game.

With 20 seconds remaining, a foul on a three-point attempt put CNU's Marcus Carter at the line, allowing the Captains to get within three points of the lead 51-48, but Witmer put the game out of reach with two free throws after being fouled with 10 seconds remaining, allowing the Gulls to take the win.

The Sea Gulls take the court again in the Randolph-Macon Holiday Tournament in Richmond, Virginia on Monday, December 29; they kick off the event against Baruch College at 5 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop