Thirteen players score for men's basketball in 73-31 win at Frostburg State

Thirteen players score for men's basketball in 73-31 win at Frostburg State

FROSTBURG, Md. – The No. 17 Salisbury University men's basketball team rolled to its first Capital Athletic Conference win of the season, topping Frostburg State University, 73-31, on Saturday afternoon at Bobcat Arena.

The 42-point win marks the largest margin of victory for the program since an 88-35 win against Christendom College on November 16, 2001.

A three-pointer from senior Kyle Savercool from just in front of the Frostburg State bench got the scoring going less than a minute in, but it would be one of just two field goals for the Sea Gulls (6-1, 1- CAC) in the game's first six minutes. Salisbury opened the game 2-for-11 from the floor, allowing the Bobcats to hold an early 7-6 lead.

Junior Justin Witmer got out in transition with just under 14 minutes left in the first half. He made his layup while getting fouled and made the free throw to put the Sea Gulls back up, 9-7. The three-point play sparked an 8-3 run for Salisbury.

The game remained in the Sea Gulls' favor throughout the first half. The Bobcats (1-6, 0-3 CAC) cut the lead to one point, 14-13, but Salisbury put up a 9-0 spurt to stretch the lead out to double digits, 23-13, with 4:30 left in the period.

The run did not end there, as Salisbury used quick passes in transition to nullify the defensive presence of Frostburg's 6-foot-7 center Zachary Coalmon, who finished the game with seven blocks.

Sophomore Jordan Brooks made a floater over Coalmon to get the lead to 25-13 before Brooks' three in the corner and Gordon Jeter's dunk in transition preceded a Witmer three for a 35-16 lead, the largest lead of the half.

Salisbury's first-half run came to a close when Quinton Dodson hit a running floater on left baseline, but the Sea Gulls took the 35-18 lead into halftime.

Neither team could find the bottom of the net in the opening moments of the second half until Rocky Harris buried a three-pointer from the left wing in transition, with 17:52 on the clock, to make the lead 20 for the first time, 38-18. It was the start of a 13-0 run over the next five and a half minutes.

The smothering Salisbury defense would not allow the Bobcats to score until a James Peters layup with 12:32 left in the contest, as the lead had grown to 48-18. The Sea Gull defense held the Bobcats to 4-of-31 shooting from the floor in the final 20 minutes.

The Sea Gull advantage remained north of 20 through the remainder of the game and got back to 30 with a Jeter dunk off Chase Kumor's drive and dish before Justin May hit from the right side pushing the lead to 60-29.

Salisbury's edge topped out at 42 with just under a minute to play when Bobby Bates connected on a pair of three-pointers and Kumor made one from just in front of the Sea Gull bench. The bucket marked the first points of Kumor's collegiate career and made 13 individual scorers for the Sea Gulls, who were paced by Witmer's 12 points and Jeter's 10.

The Sea Gulls outrebounded Frostburg on the afternoon, 50-44, with Savercool bringing in nine and Witmer and Adrien Straughn each pulling down eight.

The Sea Gulls return to action on Wednesday night, December 9, for the final home game of 2015, hosting Penn State University-Harrisburg. The game, as part of a doubleheader with the women's basketball team, is scheduled to tipoff at 7:30 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop