SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University men's basketball team battled back into the game late with their former conference rivals, Marymount, but the Sea Gulls fell to the Saints, 73-68, on Wednesday.
Final Score: Marymount 73, Salisbury 68
Records: Salisbury (2-3) | Marymount (3-1)
Location: Maggs PAC – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams traded buckets in the early goings. But, Marymount started getting an edge on Salisbury behind an 11-4 run in the middle of the half, which was capped off by a LaDarius McCord three-pointer with 9:23 left in the game for Marymount to hold a 19-10 lead.
- Salisbury clawed back to make it a five-point game, 25-20, with 5:07 left in the first half when Mike Ward found a wide-open Devin Garrett on the wing and Garrett drained a three-pointer.
- A Steve Etienne put-back at the halftime buzzer would give Marymount a 40-29 lead over Salisbury at the break.
- Marymount extended their lead by as much as 18 points in the early parts of the second half when Taiga Walker made two free-throws to put the Saints up 47-29.
- Buoyed by a strong defense and timely shooting, Salisbury made it a 64-62 game with 4:37 left in the half when Lucas Martin converted a three-point play.
- Marymount tried to extend their lead again in the latter parts of the half but Salisbury stayed in the game.
- Martin made a lay-in with 34 seconds left in the game to cut the Marymount lead back down to two points, 70-68.
- Marymount was able to make their free throws late in the game to take the win, 73-68.
- Both teams made 47.1 percent of their shots.
- Salisbury had four players reach double figures.
- Devin Garrett scored a game-high 19 points on 7-of12 shooting and 4-of-7 from three. Garrett also pulled down a team-best six boards.
- Lucas Martin went 5-of-6 from the field and 3-of-3 from the free-throw line for 13 points.
- Mike Ward and D'Angelo Tull each tallied 10 points. Ward grabbed five rebounds while Tull dished out five assists.
- Johnny Fierstein, Paul Garcia and J.P. Krotulis each scored five in the loss.
- Taiga Walker led Marymount with 18 points.
- Salisbury will head across the bridge on Saturday, Nov. 23 to take on the Goucher Gophers.
- The game is set for a 7 p.m. tip.
- Live stats are available.