Sea Gulls knock off No. 4 Spartans; Remain undefeated in conference

SALISBURY, Md. – In a physical, conference clash at the SU Soccer Complex, the Salisbury University men's soccer team knocked off No. 4 York College of Pennsylvania, 3-1, to remain the only undefeated team remaining in the Capital Athletic Conference with a 5-0 record.

From the blow of the whistle to start the match, every second proved to be entertaining until the clock finally wound down. In a match that drew 38 fouls (18 apiece), five yellow cards and one red, the rivalry deemed nothing short of a classic match between the two programs.

In the first half, the Sea Gulls (13-2, 5-0 CAC) looked to have taken the first strike in the match, as senior midfielder Jake Perry placed a blocked shot by Spartan goalkeeper Brad Schmidt in the back of the net, but was quickly called off by the referee due to being offside.

Roughly 12 minutes later, York (13-2, 5-1 CAC) capitalized on a corner kick sent in by midfielder Chris Weaver, with a header finish by midfielder Tobi Iguade to take the first lead.

Going into halftime, Salisbury led the Spartans with nine shots to eight.

With determination and perseverance heading into the second period, SU took control early, putting on an offensive charge right out of the gates. Just seven minutes in, junior forward Tanner East collected his team-leading seventh goal of the season to draw the match even. Senior forward Trevor Sharpe broke down the right side of the field where he blasted a liner to the left side of the goal. Schmidt deflected the shot, leaving East with a clear finish.

With the score 1-1, Salisbury harnessed the momentum swing and placed a second in the back of the net under six minutes later. Sharpe found room 30 yards out to play a flawless pass to the top of the 18-yard box where the ball found the feet of senior midfielder Elliott Crompton following the split of two defenders. Crompton connected on the shot, leaving it low and under Schmidt's diving attempt to save it for his third goal of the season. Sharpe finished the match with two assists and five shots.

In the 75th minute, midfielder Adam Quigley gave the Sea Gulls a 3-1 cushion. After being awarded a penalty kick due to a foul inside the 18-yard box, the senior captain took the honors blasting home the third goal and sealing the victory.

Sophomore goalkeeper Drew Staedeli and the defense held the back line strong in another untouchable performance. Staedeli finished the match with five saves, moving his record to 13-2 for the season. Juniors Kyle Westbrook and Logan Becker and sophomore Cy McNeill played the entire 90 minutes, while senior Chase Humphrey and junior Jeff Byrnes contributed in the Sea Gull wall.

The men carry their eight-game winning streak into Wednesday's matchup against new conference member Christopher Newport University. The match is set to begin at 7 p.m., from Newport News, Va.

View: Mobile | Desktop