Sea Gulls edged by Seahawks 1-0

Sea Gulls edged by Seahawks 1-0

SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University men's soccer team fell to St. Mary's College of Maryland, 1-0, in a Capital Athletic Conference battle Wednesday afternoon.

St. Mary's (7-4, 3-0 CAC) got the action going early with a bullet in the third minute, but Salisbury (5-7, 1-2 CAC) keeper Trevor Brookhart was there to make the save. The Seahawks would get on the board in the 21st minute after Brad Moore had Khalid Balogun's blocked shot bounce back to him, allowing Moore to put the ball in the back of the net.

Dolph Hegewisch would try to get the Gulls on the board midway through the first half as he got off three shots in a five-minute span, but to no avail.

The Seahawks nearly added an insurance tally with three minutes remaining in the half, but the shot attempt hit the inside of the far post and trickled across the mouth of the goal before Salisbury was able to clear the ball.

St. Mary's led Salisbury 9-5 in shots at the break, while each team attempted one corner kick.

Salisbury controlled the pace for the first part of the second half, as Matthew Zimmerman had two shots in the first six minutes, though the Sea Gulls were unable to even the score.

Brookhart came up with a huge save in the 61st minute to keep the maroon and gold in the game. Balogun escaped the last defender and made his way into the box before Brookhart cut off his angle and made a leg save to keep the deficit at one.

Salisbury's best chance came in the 70th minute when Brooks Zentgraf sent a cross to Cameron Ament, but Ament's shot sailed high.

Brookhart made six saves on the day, with five coming in the first half. The Seahawks had a 14-12 advantage in shots and 4-2 edge in corner kicks. St. Mary's goalie Zack Haussler made three saves to earn his fourth shutout of the season.

The Sea Gulls return to action for a Homecoming contest on Saturday, October 7 at 2 p.m. as they face Penn State University-Harrisburg.

View: Mobile | Desktop