Men's soccer advances to CAC semifinals on penalty kick shootout

Men's soccer advances to CAC semifinals on penalty kick shootout

SALISBURY, Md. – The third-seeded Salisbury University men's soccer team advanced past sixth-seeded Christopher Newport University in the first round of the Capital Athletic Conference tournament on Saturday afternoon after coming out on top in the penalty shootout.

Christopher Newport (7-8-1) and Salisbury (11-3-3) went to the decisive penalty shootout after being tied 1-1 through 110 minutes of action. The Sea Gulls topped the Captains 3-1 in the shootout to survive and advance to the CAC semifinals.

The Captains capitalized on the saturated field conditions as Will Collins intercepted a Salisbury pass back to the keeper that was stopped by a puddle of water. Collins had an open look at net, finishing it off for the 1-0 lead in the 30th minute.

Christopher Newport held the Sea Gulls without a shot for the first 44 minutes, but Salisbury made the most of its limited opportunities in the final minute of the half. Ryan Spadin recorded the first shot of the game for the Sea Gulls, but his shot was blocked. The ball then bounced to Josh Woozley, who fired a shot into the back of the net to tie the game 1-1 with just 25 seconds remaining in the first half.

Despite getting outshot 11-2 in the second half, Spadin had one of the best chances of the game as he forced the Christopher Newport goalkeeper to make a diving save.

Trevor Brookhart, who finished with a season-high eight saves, made a diving stop of his own in the first overtime period, as the Captains accounted for all three shots in the frame.

Christopher Newport outshot Salisbury 21-6 in the game and held a 10-3 advantage in corner kicks, but the 1-1 tie sent the match to a penalty shootout.

In the shootout, Robbie Budd and Matt Hawkins made the first two penalty kicks for the Sea Gulls, while Brookhart came up with a big save on Christopher Newport's first try. Brookhart nearly made another save on the Captains' second penalty kick, but the ball managed to trickle in to make it 2-1 Salisbury after two rounds.

After Spadin was turned away on a leg save by Christopher Newport goalkeeper Zach Pedini, CNU's Daniel Zeitoun bounced his shot off the crossbar.

Cullen Myers sank his opportunity to put the Sea Gulls up 3-1, and Brookhart saved Christopher Newport's fourth and final try to advance Salisbury to the semifinals.

Salisbury will travel to take on second-seeded St. Mary's College of Maryland in the CAC semifinals on Wednesday, October 31 at 2:30 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop