SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University men's soccer team made a second-half push against Catholic but were unable to find the go-ahead goal as the Cardinals took a 3-2 win over the Sea Gulls.
Final Score: Catholic 3, Salisbury 2
Records: Salisbury (5-2-1) | Catholic (7-1-1)
Location: SU Soccer Complex – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Catholic scored first in the 12th minute of the game when Ben Alexander made a move in the attacking zone past a diving Ryan Miller for the opening goal of the contest.
- Salisbury failed to clear a throw-in and Catholic's Paul Egan doubled their lead three minutes later off a deflection into the back of the net.
- Salisbury turned up the momentum in the second half. Cullen Myers drew a foul in the box in on a breakaway in the 53rd minute. Myers was able to slot his penalty kick into the bottom corner of the net for Salisbury's first goal of the game.
- Catholic got an important insurance goal in the 67th minute when Egan pushed through the Salisbury defense and had his 20-yard shot bounce off the post and into the net.
- Salisbury cut their deficit to 3-2 in the 83rd minute when Myers got a left-footed cross far post and Matt Hawkins buried the header into the goal.
- Salisbury had four shots in the final six minutes of the game but each of the shots couldn't find the back of the net.
- Salisbury outshot Catholic, 16-7. Including a 13-2 edge over the Cardinals in the second half.
- Salisbury tallied 10 corners in the game.
- Cullen Myers registered his first goal of the season and added his third assist for Salisbury.
- Matt Hawkins picked up a goal on his lone shot of the contest.
- Ryan Miller made a pair of saves in net for Salisbury.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Salisbury scored the first goals against Catholic in 703:68 game minutes, dating back to its season opener on Aug. 30 against Gettysburg.
- It was Myers' second goal of his career. His last goal came at Catholic on Sept. 26, 2018.
- Salisbury begins Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) play on Saturday against Southern Virginia.
- The game from Buena Vista, Va. begins at 4:30 p.m.
- Live stats are available.