SALISBURY, Md. - The Salisbury University men's soccer team edged the St. Mary's Seahawks, 2-1, in a Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) overtime thriller on Saturday.
- Final: Salisbury 2, St. Mary's (Md.) 1
- Records: Salisbury (8-6-1, 3-4 CAC) | St. Mary's (Md.) (9-5-1, 3-4 CAC)
- Location: Sea Gull Stadium- Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The scoring started quickly for St. Mary's. In the third minute of the game, Anoi Hindle found Josh McRobie to give the Seahawks the 1-0 lead.
- The Sea Gulls had a chance to tie the game when Kevin Eriksen found himself one-on-one with the Seahawk goalie in the 30th minute, but Eriksen's shot was saved by Patrick Paolini.
- In the 55th minute, Cullen Myers tipped the ball off of a cross to find Luke Ahalt who would sneak it past Paolini to tie the game, 1-1.
- Not long after the Ahalt goal, Hindle had the chance to take the lead for the Seahawks on a breakaway, but Gabe Dunn came up with a huge save to keep the game tied.
- In the final three minutes, Beau Johnson had the chance to give the Sea Gulls the lead, but his shot was only inches away, hitting off the post.
- In the first overtime period, it did not take the Sea Gulls long to find the back of the goal. John Ford would insert the ball on a Salisbury corner kick, his insert found Ryan Spadin who was there to head the ball for the golden goal.
- Salisbury had the shot advantage over St. Mary's, 16-8.
- The Sea Gulls also held the 4-1 advantage in corners over the Seahawks.
- Gabe Dunn recorded five saves in goal for the Sea Gulls.
- Luke Ahalt led Salisbury with five shots, four of which on goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Junior Luke Ahalt and senior Ryan Spadin both scored their first goal of the season in high fashion to edge the Seahawks.
- Spadin's goal is also his first game-winning goal of the season.
- Gabe Dunn recorded eighteen saves so far this season, thirteen of which in the last three games.
- Salisbury has now won back-to-back games.
- Salisbury hit the road on Wednesday, Oct. 23 when they travel to Fredericksburg, Va. to take on the Eagles of Mary Washington.
- Kickoff of the CAC contest is set for 3:30 p.m.
- Live stats and video will be provided.