SALISBURY, Md. - The Salisbury University men's soccer team earned a 2-0 shutout on Senior Day over the Southern Virginia Knights on Saturday.
Final Score: Salisbury 2, Southern Virginia 0
Records: Salisbury (9-7-1, 4-5 CAC) | Southern Virginia (2-16, 0-9 CAC)
Location: Sea Gull Soccer Stadium- Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury started their scoring early when George Fotiou broke free after a 50-50 win from a goal kick and his right-footed strike from outside the box would get past Southern Virginia's goalie, James Hampton in the second minute of the game to give the Sea Gulls the early lead.
- Three minutes later, Salisbury added their second goal of the day when Quincy Tyler carried the ball to the corner and sent a beautiful cross far post to Kevin Eriksen, who was there to head the ball past Hampton to double up Salisbury lead.
- Southern Virginia's Sam Melo would have a look to put the Knights' first goal of the game in the 56th minute, but Gabe Dunn would make a diving save.
- Dolph Hegewisch would have several good looks on net in the second half. His best scoring chance was off of a cross from right outside the box in the 70th minute but he just inches off from the top corner of the goal.
- The Sea Gulls would have the advantage in shots over the Knights, 26-7.
- The teams both attempted the same amount of corner kicks with six apiece.
- George Fotiou and Kevin Erikson each netted a goal for Salisbury.
- Gabe Dunn recorded three saves in net.
- Dolph Hegewisch led the team with six shots.
- John Ford and Cullen Myers both tallied three shots on the day.
- Southern Virginia's Sam Melo would lead the Knights with two shots.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- George Fotiou tallied his fourth goal of the season.
- Kevin Eriksen scored his third goal of the season.
- Gabe Dunn picks up his second career shutout.