NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - The Salisbury University men's soccer team dropped a close 1-0 game on Wednesday in their final game of the regular season to the No. 22 Christopher Newport Captains in Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) action.
Final Score: No. 22 Christopher Newport 1, Salisbury 0
Records: Christopher Newport (12-2-3, 9-1 CAC) | Salisbury (9-8-1, 4-6 CAC)
Location: Captains Field- Newport News, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- CNU got the scoring started early in the first 15 minutes of play. CNU defender Derek Cook sent a long ball from the back, and Will Collins was there to settle the clear. Collins found Justin Wilson right away for the one-touch goal to give the Captains the 1-0 lead.
- In the 40th minute, CNU's Lincoln Kickbush had a clear header attempt to give the Captains a two-goal lead off of a corner kick from Joshua Niblo, but Gabe Dunn was able to get his hands on the shot to keep the score 1-0.
- The Sea Gulls came out of the halftime break hot looking to get on the board. Matt Hawkins started the barrage of shots but his shot hit off of Justin Piercy's hands. Cullen Myers was there for the rebound shot, but Piercy made another save. Then, Cameron Ament got the rebound but his shot was blocked. The three shots came in a twenty-second span in the 49th minute.
- Matt Hawkins had another shot opportunity in the 51st minute but his header went just high of the goal.
- In the 75th minute, Dolph Hegewisch had a chance to tie the game, but his shot was saved by Piercy.
- In a last-minute attempt, Salisbury was awarded a corner kick, Hegewisch inserted the ball but the game clock ran out before any plays could be made.
- CNU outshot the Sea Gulls, 10-7.
- Salisbury tallied seven shots, three of which were on goal.
- Gabe Dunn tallied a pair of saves.
- CNU notched three corners compared to Salisbury's one.