YORK, Pa. - The fifth-seeded Salisbury University men's soccer team fell, 2-1, in a back-and-forth, double-overtime battle with the fourth-seeded York in the Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) Championship Tournament.
Final Score: York 2, Salisbury 1 (2OT)
Records: York (9-8-2) | Salisbury (9-9-1)
Location: Graham Field - York, Pa.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- York got off to a fast start scoring the game's first goal in the 22nd minute when Isiah Dorsey sent a cross into the box to find Marc Murgo right in front of the cage to head the ball past Gabe Dunn to give the Spartans the early 1-0 lead.
- Dolph Hegewisch had a chance to tie the game in the 28th minute when he had an open look on goal, but his shot would soar high of the net.
- Coming right off the bench, Josh Woozley scored a goal to tie the game 1-1. Woozley's header goal was the result of a free-kick from Hegewisch just a little outside the box in the 64th minute
- George Fotiou had a last-minute opportunity to win the game for the Sea Gulls off of a corner kick taken by Hegewisch, but his shot went high.
- The Spartans had an opportunity to take the lead at the end of regulation from a shot by Brook Addisu, but the shot was blocked by the Sea Gull defense to force overtime.
- After a shotless first overtime period, York was able to end the game in the 103rd minute. A foul was called in the box to give Addisu a penalty kick. Addisu was able to get the ball past Dunn to secure the 2-1 double-overtime win.
- Salisbury had the advantage in corner kicks, 7-4.
- Gabe Dunn recorded eight saves in the overtime thriller.
- Dolph Hegwisch led the Sea Gulls with three shots.
- Josh Woozley scored the lone goal on the night.
Salisbury finishes the 2019 season with a 9-9-1 overall record and a 4-6 CAC record.