FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – The Salisbury University men's tennis team competed this past weekend in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Southeast Regional, hosted the University of Mary Washington with Alec Angradi and Ian Siew pacing the Sea Gulls at the regional tournament.
- Event: ITA Southeast Regional
- Location: Tennis Center – Fredericksburg, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Alec Angradi and Ian Siew won the Championship Doubles draw at the regional. After receiving a first-round bye, Angradi and Siew won two close battles in the Round of 32 over Noah Cheng and Noah Criss of Swarthmore, 8-5, and in the Round of 16 over Marcos Dias and Paul Monson of Southern Virginia, 8-6.
- After battling through their first two matches, Angradi and Siew advanced to the doubles final with an 8-2 win in the quarterfinals against Joseph Brown and Cole Tecce of Mary Washington and an 8-6 victory in the semifinals over Joseph Cartledge and Austin Gu of Johns Hopkins.
- Angradi and Siew won the doubles championship in straight sets over Johns Hopkins Vishnu Joshi and Vikram Vasan, 6-2, 6-4.
- Matthew Ryan and Patrick MacLean rifled off a pair of wins in the championship draw with an 8-7(5) win the opening round against Dickinson's Samuel Coan and Leonid Sorkin and an 8-1 victory in the Round of 32 over Stevenson's Larry Johnson III and Raymond McDermott. Ryan and McLean dropped a close 8-7 match in the Round of 16 against JHU's Cartledge and Gu.
- Brad Pappalardo and Ryan Santmyer won their opening contest of the doubles draw against Stephen Alam and Jonathan Gorel of St. Mary's.
- The doubles duos of Andrew Kilchenstein and William Niessner and Stefan Hein and Garrett Malave won their Round of 16 matches in the B1 Doubles draw.
- Alec Angradi made a run in the Championship Singles draw to pick up a regional singles championship. Angradi picked up five wins in the draw, including a three-set clash with CNU's Harrison Hunter, 6-4, 7-6(7), 6-1, in the quarterfinals.
- Angradi dropped the first set. 6-3, in the championship match to JHU's Joshi but Angradi rebounded in the final two sets, 6-3, 6-4 to win the match and the title.
- Siew won three matches in the championship singles draw, including a pair of three-set wins but fell in the quarterfinals to Joshi.
- Stefan Hein won his Round of 16 match in the B1 Singles draw over Edward Chen of Carnegie Mellon, 4-6, 6-1, 1-0(3).
- After dropping to the B1 Singles consolation round, Matthew Ryan won his consolation quarterfinal match in three sets over Virginia Wesleyan's Andrea Combos, 2-6, 6-3, 1-0(0).
- Ryan Santmyer tallied three wins in his B2 Singles run to the finals of the draw. He won his quarterfinal and semifinal matches in straight sets.
- Garrett Malave won a consolation quarterfinal contest in straight sets over Haverford's Robert Kresch,
- Angradi's singles championship and Angradi and Siew's doubles championship are the first ITA Regional Championships in school history.
- Angradi and Siew are Salisbury's first All-Americans since Eric Spangler in 2016.
- Angradi and Siew qualified for the ITA Cup on Oct. 17-20 in Rome, Georgia.
- The event is hosted by Berry College at the Rome Tennis Center.