CHESTER, Pa. – The Salisbury University women's basketball team fell to the Widener Pride on Thursday night, 63-57.
Final Score: Widener 63, Salisbury 57
Records: Widener (3-0) | Salisbury (1-2)
Location: Schwartz Athletic Center – Chester, Pa.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sea Gulls held a slight 8-7 edge over the Pride through the first quarter of play. Kolby Brown and Lauren Fortescue each converted on three-pointer attempts for Salisbury while Courtney Brigham added a layup for the first basket of the game.
- Widener rallied back in the second quarter to eventually take a 22-19 lead into the half. Amber Onyekwere led Salisbury in scoring in the frame with two field goals, including a three-pointer with just over a minute remaining to cut the deficit to only a point.
- The baskets started falling for both teams in the third quarter, with the Pride holding on to its lead after three, 38-36. Fortescue scored eight points in the quarter, including two more three-pointers in the final three minutes.
- Widener outscored Salisbury 25-21 in the final quarter behind nine points from Devan Rimmer. Fortescue kept rolling with seven more points in the frame while Onyekwere chipped in another six.
- Lauren Fortescue was the top Salisbury scorer on the evening, tallying a career-high 20 points while shooting 54 percent (7-13) from the field and 57 percent (4-7) from beyond the arc. The sophomore also recorded a team-high five steals and three assists to go along two rebounds.
- Amber Onyekwere also reached double-digits with 14 points to her name.
- Kaylee Otlowski scooped up a team-high 10 rebounds while Courtney Brigham collected another nine.