ANNVILLE, Pa. – The Salisbury University women's basketball team fell to DeSales University in its opening game of the Rinso Marquette Tournament hosted by Lebanon Valley College on Saturday night, 75-59.
Final Score: DeSales 75, Salisbury 59
Records: DeSales (2-0) | Salisbury (1-3)
Location: Sorrentino Gymnasium – Annville, Pa. (Lebanon Valley College)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- DeSales led Salisbury at the end of the opening quarter, 18-10. Kaylee Otlowski led the Sea Gulls with four points and a pair of rebounds in the opening stanza, while Emily Dilger added three boards and a basket.
- The Bulldogs continued to extend their lead in the second quarter, opening the score to 40-29 by the end of the first half. This time it was Amber Onyekwere leading the Sea Gulls in scoring with two three-pointers. Courtney Brigham also chipped in, adding a field goal while collecting three rebounds and dishing out one assist.
- The maroon and gold fought back in the third quarter to pull back within single digits at 55-48 following a Jada Welbon three-pointer and an Otlowski jumper, but a late run by DeSales helped to Bulldogs close the quarter with a 62-51 lead. Otlowski had her best quarter of the night in the third, tallying 11 points including one three-pointer.
- The fourth quarter proved too much to overcome as the Sea Gulls struggled to find a rhythm, scoring only eight points. The Bulldogs countered with 13 points to secure the 75-59 victory.
- Kaylee Otlowski finished just shy of a double-double, grabbing nine total boards along with a career-high 22 points to lead her team in both categories.
- Lauren Fortescue and Amber Onyekwere tied for second on the team with eight points each. Fortescue added three assists while Onyekwere tallied two.
- Jada Welbon led the team with four assists while adding four rebounds, three points and two steals.