Sea Gulls drop CAC opener to York, 2-1

SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University women's soccer team dropped its conference opener, 2-1, to York (Pa.) College Saturday afternoon at the SU Soccer Complex.

Freshman Megen Jackson led the Salisbury (4-4-1, 0-1-0 Capital Athletic Conference) attack, netting the only Sea Gull goal of the afternoon. Jackson and sophomore Logan O'Meara tied for the team lead with three shots on the afternoon.

The Sea Gulls got on the board first, just 9:01 into the contest. Sophomore Samantha Beck inserted a corner kick that was corralled by classmate Casey Arnone, who played the ball to Jackson. The Leonard, Md., native put the shot on goal that went over the head of York (5-3-1, 1-0-0 CAC) goalie Melanie Glessner, tucked right under the crossbar for the early lead.

Six minutes later, the Sea Gulls nearly widened their lead and in the process, a possible twist to the contest. Freshman Lindsey Andonian took a pass and started on a breakaway, with Glessner coming out of the goal to meet her. Andonian put a move on the goalkeeper and put the ball into the empty net, only to have the official wave off the goal with an offsides call. Glessner, a second team All-American last season, stayed down on the grass and was helped off the field with an apparent injury. In her place came freshman Stevi Lukacz, who had only seen action in three contests prior to today.

Lukacz would pick up the victory when York scored two goals in the latter part of the first half. At the 31:30 mark in the first half of play, Dale Mason put a shot on goal that Sea Gull goalie Michelle Conrad made a diving stop on but the ball trickled off her hands and three York players converged on the ball that was rolling towards the goal line and Clare Chatham put the ball in the back of the net uncontested.

The Spartans would pull ahead with the game winner less than three minutes later with a goal by Emily Cronise past a diving Conrad.

Salisbury outshot the Spartans 6-4 in the first half, with each team attempting 12 shots for the game.

Salisbury had its best shot to tie the game just 39 seconds into the second half when Lukacz misplayed at ball at the top of the box that settled on the foot of O'Meara, who pushed a shot just left of the open net. The Sea Gulls wouldn't have many opportunities following that play to tie the game.

The Sea Gulls are next in action a week from today, Oct. 5, traveling to Fredericksburg, Va., to take on the University of Mary Washington. That contest is slated to begin at 1 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop