Sea Gulls fall to Eagles, 2-1, in CAC semifinals

Sea Gulls fall to Eagles, 2-1, in CAC semifinals

SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University women's soccer team hosted a Capital Athletic Conference tournament semifinal match on Wednesday afternoon against the University of Mary Washington and was defeated, 2-1.

The first 25 minutes of the game consisted of back-and-forth action between the Sea Gulls and the Eagles, with both teams registering three shots within the time frame.

In the 27th minute, Mary Washington broke the silence with a goal from Jessica Bednarcik. After collecting the rebound off her own previous shot in the box, Bednarcik fired off another shot which finished into the back of the net.

Although UMW took an early lead, it took less than eight minutes for SU to tally the equalizer. Freshman Ruthie Lucas dribbled the ball into the left side of the box and sent a cross to freshman Jamie Tacka, who blasted a ball past Eagle goalkeeper Charlotte Owens to notch her second goal of the year and even the score at 1-1.

Even though halftime was in sight, the fireworks were not over in the period.

Bednarcik would score her second goal of the contest and give her team a 2-1 lead at 42:15 when she shot a ball that deflected off a Salisbury defender and landed in the goal.

The Eagles led, 6-4, in the shot category in the first half, while the Sea Gulls held a 3-0 edge in corner-kick attempts.

The SU offense started off fast in the second half, with the Sea Gulls taking three shots within the first 10 minutes. Sophomore Jenny Gavigan fired off a shot just over two minutes in, but it sailed over Owens' head for a goal kick. Just four minutes later, after a corner kick by Gavigan, sophomore Erin McQuate had her chance at tying the game, but her shot was blocked by a Mary Washington defender. The third shot in the 10-minute span came from Lucas, whose shot was also blocked.

At 77:06, the Sea Gulls had a big opportunity to find the back of the net when sophomore Lindsey Andonian rocketed a ball towards the goal, but the ball glanced off the center of the crossbar and flew behind the net.

SU had one more chance to push overtime at 87:37 when junior Logan O'Meara fired a shot, but it sailed wide right.

Senior goalkeeper Michelle Conrad played all 90 minutes in goal for Salisbury, picking up one save in the match. Owens tallied three saves in front of the net for Mary Washington.

The Sea Gulls held a slight 10-8 edge in shot attempts and took all four corner kicks in the game.

View: Mobile | Desktop