Own goal lifts Sea Gulls past Mustangs, 1-0, in overtime

Own goal lifts Sea Gulls past Mustangs, 1-0, in overtime

OWINGS MILLS, Md. – The Salisbury University women's soccer team defeated Stevenson University in an overtime thriller on Tuesday night when a corner kick from senior Samantha Beck grazed off the head of junior Jayne Pinsky and deflected off a Mustang defender, landing in the back of the net.

The Mustangs (3-5) had a chance to go up 1-0 under four minutes into the game when Lauren Spivey took a shot from inside the box that sailed wide to keep the game scoreless.

Thirteen minutes later, Stevenson went on the attack again when Alexis Siejack fired off a shot from the left wing, but junior goalkeeper Alesha Seifert dove in and made her first save of the season.

After physical play from both teams during the next 12 minutes, junior Lindsey Andonian had a chance to put the Gulls up when she took a shot from the left side of the box that was deflected out of bounds.

Salisbury (6-2) had another opportunity to take the lead in the first half at 44:34, but fell just short when freshman Jenna Taylor's shot from the top of the box was saved by Stevenson goalkeeper Tiffany McKee.

Seifert recorded her second save of the game less than two minutes into the second half when Jordan Porretto fired off a shot from the far left wing. The Easton, Pennsylvania native gathered another save at 52:03 when she stopped another Porretto attempt from the top of the box.

Six minutes later, the Sea Gulls got their offense going when sophomore Alex Pryor took a shot from the far right wing that McKee was able to save. Junior Erin McQuate had a shot on goal from the top of the box at 61:09, but McKee once again came through with a save.

With 10 seconds to go in regulation, Beck lined up and took a corner kick and Pinsky got her head on it, but McKee was there to pick up her seventh save of the contest, sending the game to overtime.

In the first overtime period, Beck trotted over to the right side take a corner in the 97th minute. She sent the ball into the box toward a group of Sea Gulls, where the ball grazed off Pinsky's head and deflected off a Mustang defender and into the back of the net.

Seifert played all 97:03 in front of the net, notching three saves and earning a shutout victory in her first start of the season. McKee recorded seven saves in the effort for Stevenson.

Salisbury will be back at home on Saturday, September 26 for its Capital Athletic Conference opener against Penn State University-Harrisburg. That game is set for 2 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop