Pryor leads Salisbury past Penn State-Harrisburg with overtime goal

Pryor leads Salisbury past Penn State-Harrisburg with overtime goal

SALISBURY, Md. – With just 44 seconds left in the first overtime period, junior Erin McQuate chipped the ball to sophomore Alex Pryor at the top of the box who sent the ball into the left of the net, giving the Salisbury University women's soccer team a 3-2 overtime victory over Penn State University-Harrisburg on Saturday afternoon in Capital Athletic Conference action.

The Sea Gulls (7-2, 1-0 CAC) got started early, firing off four shots in the first 10 minutes of action, including a header from junior Lindsey Andonian that soared just over the cross bar.

Despite the early action from Salisbury, Penn State-Harrisburg (1-5-1, 0-1 CAC) struck first, after Kylie Courtney took advantage of a ball that deflected off sophomore goalkeeper Ellen Anderson, sending it into the goal at 10:53 to go up 1-0.

One minute later, senior Jenna DeLetto took a shot that was blocked in the box, and junior Jayne Pinsky found the ball and sent it past Lion goalkeeper Samantha Kutcher to tie the game at 1-1.

The Gulls got on the board again at 15:33 when senior Heather Group sent a ball into the box from 20 yards out on the left side where McQuate finished, scoring from the middle of the box to give SU a 2-1 lead.

The next 20 minutes of action consisted of physical play from both sides, and the Sea Gulls outshot the Lions 5-4 during the stretch. But at 40:34, Courtney sent a corner kick into the box that Kristin Peckman headed in to even the score at 2-2 going into halftime.

At the break, Head Coach Kwame Lloyd went to sophomore goalkeeper Hope Knussman to play in front of the net in the second half.

In the second, both teams had several opportunities to take a lead. Just 20 seconds in, Leann Kazawic ripped a shot that sailed wide of the net. At 49:50, senior Kandace Racine took a shot that was saved by Kutcher, and less than a minute later, senior Logan O'Meara got a shot on goal that Kutcher once again collected for the save.

Salisbury had a chance to take the lead with under six minutes to go in regulation when Kutcher was issued a red card after interfering with a breakaway-goal attempt by junior Jenny Gavigan. Kutcher's foul happened just outside the box, so the Gulls were awarded with a free kick, but Gavigan's attempt went wide right.

It took all but 44 seconds of the first overtime period for Salisbury to score the game-winner, when Pryor took a ball from McQuate at the top of the box and scored.

Anderson, who saw the start in goal for the Sea Gulls, picked up a save in the game, while Knussman earned the win in front of the net for SU. Kutcher earned 10 saves in goal for the Lions before picking up the red card.

The Gulls outshot the Lions 33-8 in the matchup, and notched an 11-3 corner kick advantage on the afternoon.

Salisbury will be back in action at the SU Soccer Complex on Tuesday, September 29 when it takes on Marymount (Va.) University in another CAC matchup. That game is set for 4 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop