Salisbury falls to St. Mary’s, 2-1, after late goal

Salisbury falls to St. Mary’s, 2-1, after late goal

SALISBURY, Md. – A goal with just over five minutes left in regulation was the deciding factor on Wednesday afternoon, as the Salisbury University women's soccer team fell to St. Mary's College of Maryland in Capital Athletic Conference play.

The first 22 minutes of action was evenly matched, and both teams held possession equally and had scoring opportunities. At 6:11 senior Jenna DeLetto had a chance when she ripped a shot toward the net, but it sailed above the crossbar. Under six minutes later, St. Mary's had an opportunity when Claire Kostelnik took a shot on goal, but junior goalkeeper Alesha Seifert was there to make the save.

After the strong play from both teams, the Seahawks broke through at 22:18 when Gillian Sawyer took a shot from 20 yards out on the left side that went past Seifert's hands and into the back of the net, putting the score at 1-0.

During the last 22 minutes of the first period, Salisbury outshot St. Mary's 3-1, but the Gulls were unable to answer the Seahawk goal in the half.

It took just under six minutes for Salisbury to net the equalizer in the second half, when senior Samantha Beck crossed the ball into the middle of the box from the right side where sophomore Ruthie Lucas was there to finish, sending the ball into the top of the net on a one-touch shot.

The next 30 minutes of action went scoreless and each team recorded three shots during the span, with Salisbury controlling possession for most of the action. Both teams had opportunities to take the lead during the time period, including a shot on goal by junior Erin McQuate that Seahawk goalkeeper Sydney Larkin was able to save.

St. Mary's struck what became the game-winning goal at 84:58 with a quick counter attack, when Jess Konecke took a shot from just inside the 18 on the left side that curved into the top right of the net after glancing off the post.

With just 20 seconds to go, the Sea Gulls kept fighting and had an opportunity to send the game into overtime, but fell just short when Lucas' shot went just wide right, rolling by the post.

Seifert played all 90 minutes in goal for Salisbury, grabbing four saves in the contest, while Larkin posted two saves in front of the net for St. Mary's. The Sea Gulls outshot the Seahawks, 10-8, in the game and held a slight 5-4 edge in corner kicks.

Salisbury will travel to take on conference opponent Frostburg State University on Saturday, October 10 for its next match. That game is set for 1 p.m.

View: Mobile | Desktop