Lucas nets two as Salisbury draws 2-2 against Denison

Lucas nets two as Salisbury draws 2-2 against Denison

GRANVILLE, Ohio – The Salisbury University women's soccer team took on Denison University Sunday afternoon, drawing 2-2 with the Big Red after double overtime.

It took the Sea Gulls a mere 40 seconds to get into the action Sunday when senior Erin McQuate rifled a shot to the right of Denison keeper Jenny Herold. McQuate would get another chance four minutes later when she headed a corner on goal forcing Herold to deflect the ball wide for another Salisbury corner.

Despite Salisbury starting off strong and controlling possession early, it would be Denison which would get on the board first. Denison capitalized on a long free kick into the offensive third and Jaquie Graham was able to settle the cross, and sneak a shot past a charging Hope Knussman.  

Undeterred at the home strike, Salisbury would counter a scant two minutes later when junior Jamie Tacka played a perfect through ball to an on rushing Ruthie Lucas who calmly slotted a shot past an on rushing Herold. The goal marked Lucas's first goal of the 2016 season.

Lucas would notch her second goal of the game 20 minutes later when she collected a loose ball and fired a shot into the far upper 90 giving the Sea Gulls a 2-1 cushion 15 minutes before the break.

Both teams would battle back and forth before heading to the locker room with the score at 2-1. During the first half of play Salisbury outshot Denison 14-8, while Knussman notched four saves and the Salisbury defense held the Big Red to only four shots and two corner kicks.

Senior midfielder Jenny Gavigan got the Sea Gulls started early when she intercepted a pass, drove toward the goal and fired a shot in the opening minute of the second half.

The Salisbury back line played an outstanding defensive game for 60 minutes, but was unable to hold the lead when a deflected header found Denison's Maggie Armstrong, who was able to sneak a shot past Knussman in the 56th minute drawing the match level at 2-2.

The Sea Gulls would get an opportunity to take the lead in the 81st minute when junior Jamie Tacka took a corner from Gavigan and volleyed a rocket on goal, but a Denison defender threw her body in front at the last second to deny the Sea Gulls a thrilling victory.

The Sea Gulls would get another chance to snag the win when a through ball found open space in front of junior Carliane LaGuerre which created a two on one with Lucas on her left, but LaGuerre's pass was intercepted denying Salisbury as time expired.

Both overtime periods would see a hard fought match with both sides volleying for the golden goal to push their team through, but after 20 minutes of overtime the match would remain 2-2. The Salisbury offense outshot the Big Red 29-17 and Knussman commanded all 110 minutes in goal collecting six saves for the Sea Gulls.

Salisbury will be back in action on Wednesday, September 14 when it travels to Striker Park, Va. to take on Roanoke College. That game is set for 5 p.m.

Photo courtesy of JRD Photography

View: Mobile | Desktop