Buena Vista, Va. –After a two-hour lightning delay, the Salisbury University women's soccer team defeated the Southern Virginia Knights, 3-1 on Saturday to open their Captial Athletic Conference (CAC) schedule.
- Final Score: Salisbury 3, Southern Virginia 1
- Records: Salisbury (5-2-2, 1-0 CAC) | Southern Virginia (2-7-1, 0-1 CAC)
- Location: Buena Vista, Va. – Knight Stadium
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Just under five minutes into the game, lightning in the area forced the teams to sit through a two-hour delay.
- Salisbury scored the opening goal of the game in the 29th minute. Julianna Boller drew a foul in the box and Brooke Rossiter put away the penalty shot for her third goal of the season.
- With a little less than three minutes left on the clock in the first half, Liliana Caceres reeled in a pass from Kara Schmidt at the top of the box and blasted a shot off the SVU keeper and into the net to double Salisbury's advantage.
- Salisbury kept the momentum high from the first half as two and half minutes into the second half, Boller passed the ball right under a diving goalkeeper and found Autumn Dougherty in front of the wide-open net to extend the Salisbury lead to 3-0.
- Southern Virginia scored a goal in the 71st minute on a Savannah Sungberg goal to cut the Salisbury lead to 3-1.
- Salisbury outshot Southern Virginia, 22-4.
- Salisbury collected 11 corners.
- Brooke Rossiter and Liliana Caceres each tallied a goal on one shot. Autumn Dougherty tallied a goal on two shots. Ally Goetz had two shots on goal while Anna Dimitriades and Julianna Boller each had a shot on goal.
- Savannah Uri of Southern Virginia stopped five saves for the Knights.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- This is the seventh consecutive win for the Sea Gulls against the Knights.
- This was Caceres' her first goal of the season, and the second in her collegiate career.
- Salisbury stays on the road next Wednesday as they head down to Fredericksburg, Va. for their second CAC game of the season against the Mary Washington Eagles.
- Game time is set for 4 p.m.
- Live stats and video are available.