SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University women's tennis team took the court on Sunday afternoon in its season-opening match against Catholic University, coming away with an impressive 9-0 victory against the Cardinals (0-1). The Sea Gulls have now won their last four straight openers, dating back to 2008.
Salisbury (1-0) went 6-0 in singles play and 3-0 at doubles for the sweep. Sophomores Jillian Poppe and Elaina Iosue earned the "W" at the No. 1 and No. 2 spots and senior Angela Tenaglia won at No. 3.
Sophomores Victoria Handlin and Rachel Lupinetti each earned 6-1, 6-1 wins in the No. 4 and No. 6 matches, respectively, and freshman Jessica Babyak won her first match as a Sea Gull, in the No. 5 position.
Poppe and Tenaglia teamed up at No. 1 doubles, with Iosue and Handlin playing No. 2 for the Sea Gulls. Both duos came away with 8-2 victories. The No. 3 doubles position, taken by Babyak and Lupinetti, resulted in an 8-3 win.
The maroon and gold have almost two weeks to rest and regroup for their next matches, both to be played at home on Saturday, March 12. The first match, against Capital Athletic Conference opponent Wesley College, is set to begin at 9 a.m.; the second match, against CAC foe York (Pa.) College, will begin at noon.
Today's Match Results
Salisbury v. Catholic (Feb. 27, 2011)
- Jillian Poppe def. Marjorie Selinger – 6-0, 6-3
- Elaina Iosue def. Andie Ingram – 6-1, 6-1
- Angela Tenaglia def. Elaina Sceusa – 6-1, 6-0
- Victoria Handlin def. Ritamarie Holden – 6-1, 6-1
- Jessica Babyak def. Caitlin Porter – 6-1, 6-2
- Rachel Lupinetti def. Elizabeth Harvey – 6-1, 6-1
- Poppe/Tenaglia def. Selinger/Sceusa – 8-2
- Iosue/Handlin def. Ingram/Harvey – 8-2
- Babyak/Lupinetti def. Holden/Porter – 8-3