ASHLAND, Va. – The Salisbury University volleyball endured two five-set matches against the Randolph-Macon Yellow Jackets and the Marymount Saints on Saturday to conclude the Randolph-Macon Invitational and remain undefeated on the season.
Final Score (Game 1): Salisbury 3, Randolph-Macon 2 (26-24, 25-17, 17-25, 18-25, 17-15)
Final Score (Game 2): Salisbury 3, Marymount (Va.) 2 (26-28, 25-19, 23-25, 25-20, 15-11)
Records: Salisbury (7-0) | Randolph-Macon (6-2) | Marymount (Va.) (1-6)
Location: Ashland, Va. – Alumni Gymnasium / Crenshaw Gymnasium
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury outlasted a tough, back-and-forth first set against Randolph-Macon with neither team holding on to more than a two-point lead. Carley Cleland secured the final two kills to win the set.
- Powered by an 11-3 scoring run and six Randolph-Macon attack errors, Salisbury was able take the 2-0 lead over Randolph-Macon after the second set.
- Salisbury fell victims to Randolph-Macon runs in the third and fourth set to allow the Yellow Jackets to force a fifth and deciding set.
- After trailing 4-3 in the fifth set, Salisbury rallied back to take an 11-4 lead in the final set. Randolph-Macon went on a run of their own to take the 14-13 lead in the fifth. Salisbury regained their momentum to score four of the final five points of the set. Amanda Chew sealed the victory for Salisbury with back-to-back kills to seal the win.
- Both teams traded set wins until the fifth set.
- Marymount took the 28-26 win in the first set. Both teams traded set point with Salisbury up 26-25 before Marymount scored the final three points to win the opening set.
- Salisbury tied the game at a set a piece when Chloe Adam got the deciding kill in the second set.
- Both teams went back-an-forth in the third set with Marymount ending the third set on a Salisbury attack error.
- Salisbury forced the fifth set behind a 14-kill performance in the fourth set. As a team, Salisbury hit.262.
- In the fifth set, Marymount took a 9-8 lead before Salisbury closed the game out on a 7-2 run.
- Amanda Chew totaled 34 kills and 25 digs on Saturday.
- Carley Cleland notched 24 kills in two games, including a career-high 17 kills against Marymount
- Chloe Adam registered a double-double in Salisbury's win over Marymount with 16 digs and 13 kills.
- Claudia Sweitzer tallied 54 assists while Kiana Bopp dished out 45 assists. Bopp collected her first double-double of the season in the win over Marymount.
- Hailey Dougherty led the Salisbury defense with 44 digs on Saturday.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Salisbury's seven-match winning streak to start the season is the most since the Sea Gulls won nine in a row to start the 2014 season.
- Amanda Chew was named to the All-Tournament Team following the final match. Chew was the lone player of all the five schools at the tournament to be a unanimous selection.
- Salisbury continues their month-long road trip when they take part in the two-day Stevenson Invitational starting on Friday, Sept. 13 against Gallaudet.
- Friday's match begins at 8 p.m. in Owings Mills, Md.