GLENSIDE, Pa. – The Salisbury University volleyball team traveled north to take part in the Arcadia University Classic on Friday evening, earning a sweep on day one with victories over both The University of California Santa Cruz, 3-2, and Haverford College, 3-1.
Final Score (Game 1): Salisbury 3, UC Santa Cruz 2 (25-21, 25-16, 22-25, 17-25, 15-11)
Final Score (Game 2): Salisbury 3, Haverford 1 (25-22, 17-25, 25-20, 25-10)
Records: Salisbury (10-2) | UC-Santa Cruz (6-9) | Haverford (12-1)
Location: Glenside, Pa. - Alumni Gymnasium (Arcadia University)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Salisbury vs. UC Santa Cruz
- The Sea Gulls jumped out to an early lead with a first set victory which included seven ties and five lead changes, but 10-6 Salisbury run closed out the set, 25-21.
- Salisbury doubled its match lead, taking the second set 25-16 that included three separate 4-0 runs by the Sea Gulls.
- The Banana Slugs (6-8) battled back, however, to win sets three and four and force a fifth set.
- Salisbury closed out the match win with a 15-11 victory in the fifth set. The Sea Gulls strung together an early 6-0 run to take a 9-3. Santa Cruz pulled within one at 10-9, but a 5-2 Salisbury run capped off the win.
Salisbury vs. Haverford
- Similar to their prior match, the Sea Gulls found themselves with an early lead following a first-set victory. The Sea Gulls and Fords battled back and forth with the scored tied as late as 22-22, but Salisbury recorded the final three points.
- Haverford took set number two, 25-17, to even the match at a set apiece.
- However, Salisbury stole back the momentum and the lead with a 25-20 victory in the third set, then sealed the match in the fourth set by scoring 20 of the final 25 points.
- Amanda Chew notched her eighth double-double of the season with 15 kills and 11 digs against Haverford. Chew also recorded a team-high 21 kills in the win over UC Santa Cruz.
- Hailey Dougherty recorded team highs in digs across both matches, with 20 against Santa Cruz and another 23 against Haverford.
- Kiana Bopp and Claudia Sweitzer tied for the team high in assists against Santa Cruz, with 21 each. Sweitzer added another 16 against Haverford while Bopp added another 15.
- Jenna Feinauer led all Sea Gulls in blocks in both contests, recording six against Santa Cruz and another five against Haverford.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- It is the first time in program history that Salisbury defeated Haverford.
- The Sea Gulls will return for day two of the Arcadia University Classic on Saturday afternoon. The first contest of the day will take place at 1 p.m. against Lycoming College (8-6). Salisbury will wrap up the tournament against host Arcadia (7-6) at 3 p.m.
- Stats will be available for both matches and Salisbury's final match of the day against Arcadia will be live streamed. All links are on SUSeaGulls.com.