BUENA VISTA, Va. – The Salisbury University volleyball team traveled to Southern Virginia University to open Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) play on Saturday afternoon but fell to the Knights, 3-0.
Final Score: Southern Virginia 3, Salisbury 0 (25-22, 27-25, 25-13)
Record: Salisbury (11-4, 0-1 CAC) | Southern Virginia (11-4, 1-0 CAC)
Location: Knight Arena – Buena Vista, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury got off to a slow start in the first set as Southern Virginia jumped out to a 16-8 lead. Still trailing 22-14, the Sea Gulls kicked off an 8-2 run to cut the deficit to within 24-22, but the Knights took the set point following a timeout to go up, 1-0.
- It was the maroon and gold that jumped out to an early 8-4 lead in the second set, but Southern Virginia spun the momentum with a 5-0 run of its own to eventually take a 9-8 lead. A 7-2 Salisbury run followed, but four straight service aces by Courtney Singleton led to a 16-15 Knight lead. Seven more ties and two separate lead changes followed, but it was the Knights who prevailed 27-25 to gain the two-set advantage.
- The Sea Gulls held a pair of leads early in the third set at 5-4 and 8-7, but Southern Virginia seized full momentum with a 10-1 run that Salisbury couldn't battle back from. The Knights controlled the rest of the set with a 25-13 set victory and a match sweep.
- Amanda Chew led all Sea Gulls with 10 kills on 37 total attacks. Chew also added nine digs and an assist.
- Hailey Dougherty collected a team-high 22 digs while also picking up a kill and four assists. Darian DiMatteo finished with 11 digs.
- Claudia Sweitzer's 15 assists paced the maroon and gold. Sweitzer also tallied five digs in the match.
- Jenna Hahn and Jenna Feinauer were each credited with three blocks while Carley Cleland and Angelina Casserly each added two.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Since Southern Virginia joined the CAC in 2013, the Sea Gulls are 5-3 against the Knights, though they have dropped each of the past three meetings.
- Three Sea Gulls currently lead the CAC in three major stat categories: Chew (233 kills), Dougherty (299 digs) and Feinauer (63 blocks).