SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University volleyball team picked up its second straight sweep and third straight win when they hosted Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) opponent Southern Virginia University on Saturday. The victory moves the Sea Gulls above. 500 in conference play and locks up the third seed in next week's CAC tournament.
Final Score: Salisbury 3, Southern Virginia 0 (25-14, 25-15, 25-10)
Record: Salisbury (16-8, 5-4 CAC) | Southern Virginia (14-11, 3-6 CAC)
Location: Maggs PAC – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two began the opening set by trading points for an early 3-3 tie. However, the Knights executed a small rally to eventually take a 9-6 lead. The Sea Gulls battled back to tie the set two more times at 12-12 and 13-13 but then went on a dominating run to score 12 of the final 13 points and win the set, 25-14.
- The Knights kicked off the second set by scoring the first point, but it marked the one and only time the visitors would hold a lead as the Sea Gulls jumped ahead 10-8 early and never looked back. Salisbury opened it up to 15-9 with a quick 5-1 run, then closed it out with another 10-5 run to move ahead, 2-0.
- The third set was once again all Salisbury as the Sea Gulls jumped out to a commanding 16-4 lead over their guests. A small 3-1 run by the Knights got them as close as 17-7, but it was Salisbury the rest of the way as it locked up the final set, 25-10, and the match, 3-0.
- Salisbury notched a .330 team hitting percentage with 43 kills while holding Southern Virginia to only .035 and 22 total kills.
- Chloe Adam recorded a team-high 13 kills. Amanda Chew and Jenna Feinauer each chipped in another eight apiece.
- Feinauer also lead the team with four blocks while Carley Cleland added another three.
- Blair Pausic notched a team-high 34 assists while also contributing four digs and a kill.
- Hailey Dougherty's 18 digs led all Sea Gulls while Cleland recorded another eight and Chew and Kiana Bopp each provided seven.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Adding 18 more digs to her total, Dougherty now sits just nine digs shy of leaping into sole possession of fourth place on the career digs list. Brittany Mister '05 and Jaime Marzocchi '08 are currently tied for fourth place with 1,769 digs each.
- Salisbury will close out the conference portion of its remaining regular-season schedule when it travels to Newport News, Va. for a weekend trio of matches. The Sea Gulls will open their weekend against Christopher Newport University on Friday, November 1.
- The match is set to begin at 7 p.m.
- Video and live stats will be available.